On Mar 25, 2006, at 5:01 PM, Joseph Dal Molin wrote:

....and...at the risk of stating the obvious there should be some
mechanism for evaluating the certification authority and the criteria...

Sadly, I don't know how many people are even thinking in those terms. What we are discussing here is software quality (meaning fitness for a particular purpose), and it may well be that people with the appropriate expertise are not well represented in this process. Worse, the current standard (in medicine, one might say "standard of care") in this area is heavily biased towards testing and informal (if any) requirements definition. Formal methods, automated proof systems, rigorous specifications, and so forth are all thought of as rather esoteric or "academic" (purposely using what Guy L. Steele perceptively called horror quotes in his thesis!) I know I've written correctness proofs for no reason but to satisfy myself that an algorithm I developed was correct. It's not such a terrible thing. Perhaps medicine is an area where we ought to start thinking about setting aside industry standard practice and thinking in terms of more rigorous methods of validating softwares -- which, after all is used in patient care!

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"And the end of all our exploring