Gregory wrote:
>On Apr 9, 2006, at 10:12 PM, Lorie Obal wrote:
>
>> Can anyone clarify/comment on the architecture principles called
>> "archetypes" and "two-level" methodologies used in the openEHR
>> project and openVistA? See:
>> http://www.openehr.org/publications/archetypes/
>> archetypes_beale_oopsla_2002.pdf
>>
>> The openEHR docs imply that this is a significant departure from
>> previous methodologies. I'm trying to compare/contrast this with
>> vistA in a comparison framework. Any enlightenment appreciated.
>>
>> More info on openEHR & archetypes can be found at:
>> http://www.openehr.org/publications/archetypes/t_archetypes.htm
>>
>> -Lorie
>>

>I'm really mot familiar with this approach (frankly, I find the
>presentation hard to follow, though the longer paper http://
>www.deepthought.com.au/it/archetypes/archetypes.pdf, is easier to
>follow), but the problem is certainly a familiar one. A significant
>problem with VistA (and just about any other EHR) is that domain
>specific knowledge is embedded into code or intermixed with
>operational data all over the place.VistA has attempted (with some
>success) to add a layer of abstraction using mechanisms such as
>protocols, templates, or even options. Personally, I think VistA
>would very much benefit from a mechanism such as this (though from
>the technical side, I still have questions).

Thomas Beale has been writing on the openhealth list about archtypes for EMR
for many
years now. The essence of it seems to be an attempt to develop a formalism for
the
representation of medical knowledge so that medical records software can be
generated by
knowledge maintained by domain experts instead of being written by software
developers.

I spent quite a bit of time studying it but I haven't looked at it for a few
years now. My
general impression was that it was very interesting and far thinking but too
academic to
be of practical use to me as a systems developer for a long time. It was also
too complex
for me to be able to give back much in the way of valuable feedback on it
without devoting
much more time to it than I could spare.

I think it could benefit greatly from knowledge derived from VistA and perhaps
vice versa.