It is big on the news today up here and apparently they did keep it quiet,
which I hoped worked to keep the valuable information coming to the attention
of the thief. Hopefully, he just wiped the drive.

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 11:38, Cameron Schlehuber wrote:
In fact, you can be pretty sure it had nothing to do with VistA.  There are
only about 11 million folks registered in the MPI.  The majority of living
vets have never had anything to do with VHA or VistA.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nancy
Anthracite
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 9:59 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Re: Personal information on 26.5 million
veterans stolen

This was not necessarily anything to do with VistA.  It might be something
from the VBA (Veterans Benefits) portion of the VA's activities or  any
number of things that have nothing to do with VistA.  For example, with the
threat of terrorism, bird flu, etc., the VA is prepared to engage in remote
operations, so this laptop could have had something to do with that as well.

I agree that it seems that advertising might not be a great idea as I
understand thieves often unload hard drives so as not to be caught with any
evidence.  However, there is the flip side of needing to keep people
informed
so that they can be extra vigilant for identity theft.