Dan,

I have gone through several iterations since encountering this
problem, but I initially thought that the UPDATE was all or nothing.
But I am now working on another field, and it seems that the record
was created, and just the filing in that one field failed.

By the way, is there any formal call to test if one's values will pass
the input transform for a given field before trying and potentially
only partially succeeding--causing more mess?

Thanks
Kevin