Greg Woodhouse wrote:
[KSB] <...snip...>

> Certainly, there must be some formal studies into cost of ownership. My
> own "back of the envelope" estimates indicate that maintaining a VistA
> system is by no means cheap. On the other hand, with a proprietary
> solution, you'll end up paying for the same thing in the form of
> licensing fees, support and upgrades. There doesn't seem to be any
> obvious way to estimate the difference in cost of ownership of
> comparable (whatever that means) open source and proprietary systems.

[KSB] The fact of the matter is that it is impossible to do an unbiased
apples to apples comparison of the total cost of ownership (TCO) of
FLOSS (Free/Libré and Open Source Software) vs. non-FLOSS for a variety
of reasons, and not just because the concept of TCO is itself flawed.

"Studies" are always biased.  For example, Microsoft studies about
Windows having a lower TCO than Linux, or Microsoft Office having a
lower TCO than Openoffice.org frequently burden the estimate of Linux
TCO with a large "retraining cost".  [Whether this is right or wrong, I
will not opine on.]

We who communicate in English are handicapped by the fact that "free"
has two different meanings, whereas in Spanish, "gratis" and "libré" are
distinct words.  FLOSS is not free as in gratis.  FLOSS is free as in
libré.  Internet Explorer is gratis.  Mozilla Firefox is libré.  The
freedom of libré includes the freedom to use the software in any way you
choose to use it, the freedom to learn from it, the freedom to modify it
to your needs, and the freedom to make your changes available to
others.  The freedom of gratis may allow you to run the software without
paying a license fee, but will generally restrict your use of the
software, restrict your ability to reverse engineer it and learn from
it, restrict your ability to modify it, etc.  For example, have you ever
wondered why there are so few apples to apples benchmarks of popular
non-FLOSS databases?  The fine print of most license agreements prevents
you from publishing benchmark results without the written approval of
the database vendor, who will not give permission to publish if their
product is not the winner.

So, even when software doesn't have a license fee, and even if TCO can
be well defined, you can never make an apples to apples comparison
between FLOSS and non-FLOSS software.

The choice between FLOSS and non-FLOSS has to be made on qualitative
grounds, not on cost grounds.  By way of analogy, many people choose to
pay off their mortgages if they can afford to, even though it is more
tax efficient (at least in the US) to borrow money (i.e., a mortgage has
a lower TCO than paying off the house).  This seemingly irrational
behavior is because owning a house free and clear gives people greater
freedom in the libré sense.

So don't waste time & energy trying to compare the TCO of a FLOSS
solution with a non-FLOSS solution.

-- Bhaskar