Nancy,

            Sorry not to have been able to make it to the Conference this past weekend, but I just could not get away.  I’m sure that it would have been well worth coming, just to get this installation finished!

            I am having quite a problem getting Vista Installed, and wonder if you can give me some pointers.

            I mentioned to you that I had decided to be adventurous and try to install the latest FOIA Cache.Dat from ftp://ftp.va.gov/vista/Software/Cache.dat

, which you warned me was only just the beginning!  In actual fact, I can’t even get past the beginning and set myself up as a programmer.

            I was having a failure in XUS2, which I posted on Saturday and received a reply from Gregory Woodhouse, which I just replied to as, due to my neophyte status, I don’t actually understand what his answer means!

            I have not got past the problem, but while looking for an answer I have come up with another when I try to print out anything to the Console.  I get a message HOME DEVICE

DOES NOT EXIST IN THE DEVICE FILE: here’s a typical display of it:

Select Option: 5 INQUIRE TO FILE ENTRIES

OUTPUT FROM WHAT FILE: DOMAIN//

Select DOMAIN NAME: VISTA.ONDEMAND.COM

ANOTHER ONE:

STANDARD CAPTIONED OUTPUT? Yes// N  (No)

FIRST PRINT FIELD: NUMBER

THEN PRINT FIELD:

Heading (S/C): DOMAIN LIST//

HOME DEVICE DOES NOT EXIST IN THE DEVICE FILE

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SYSTEM MANAGER!

TRY LATER

I get this as I am running through your (Hardhats) document entitled “Installing and running the Department of Veterans Affairs CPRS GUI Chart Demo on Windows with Cache”.  However, I’m using the FOIA Cache file mentioned above (I believe it’s called the Platinum file?).  I realize that this error is something to do with the Device file not being installed properly, but it’s going to take me a long time to figure it out.  I can see that the current Device definition for CONSOL is using terminal type TNT, which I believe should be TRM for a PC based system, but I can’t edit it because I can’t get past the Home Device Does Not Exist…error.

            So, I decided to cut my losses and get the actual file that you mention in the document which is called CacheDemoOnly.zip, but I couldn’t find it anywhere.  I tried going on to the site you mention in the document (http://opensourcevista.net:8888/NancysVistaServer), but couldn’t find that either!

            Rather than blather on, could you just tell me which is the best source to download a copy of Cache.dat that I will be able to set up on my machine and be able to get into with administrative rights.  I want to be able to add and delete doctors, patients etc.

Thank you so much,

            -Rob

Robert Marmion

ITBridges Inc.