There's something wrong with this picture.

The open source project I follow the most closely (after this one, I suppose) is PLT Scheme. They use an SVN repository with automated nightly builds. To stay up to date on the development version, I only need download the latest build and run the installer. This isn't currently possible with VistA, but why shouldn't it be? Note, btw, that it's still possible to check out individual components from the SVN repository, the nightly build cycle is just a convenience.