It's different for each file and the objectives you're trying to reach.  If
you are completely sure that the field's data will be unique (or you need
to enforce uniqueness) then sure.  You just have to understand the
consequences.  You wouldn't want uniqueness on fields like person
names.  Hey SSNs are always unique, right? :)