I have somewhat basic question here. Every clinic or ER I've seen requires people to turn off their wireless phone or other devices. Now, I know 802.11 (WiFi) networks typically operate in the same unlicensed ISM bands that would likely be used (or, more to the point, occupied) by medical equipment, but most wireless devices (the exception being T-mobile, perhaps) use carrier networks exclusively and neither support 802.11 nor occupy ISM bands. Is the thinking here to avoid consuming bandwidth that might be used wireless phones used for providers, to minimize the chances of interruptions and noise, or something else?

Perhaps more to the point, I wonder if there are frequency bands used by mobile devices in a clinical setting that would differ from the typical ISM (Industrial/Scientific/Medical) bands typically used for (local area) wireless networks.

Gregory Woodhouse

"Those who are enamored of practice
without theory are like a pilot who goes
into a ship without rudder or compass."
--Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)