with WinAvi it takes me something like 45 minutes for a DivX AVI to
SVCD, however if I use something else like TMPGenc then it can take a
good 3 - 4 hrs.

are you using cinema craft as the mpeg encoder for the SVCD2DVD
implementation or TMPGenc?

--
-Francisco
http://pcthis.blogspot.com | PC news with out the jargon!