Chris Reeves wrote: <snip>>
While I've never been into downloading movies, etc. (except what I pay for)
copying what I already own to me seems fair game, and I find it somewhat
ridiculous that considering how fragile vs. the cost they are that we don't
have a way around that.

One argument made against title 117 sec 17 was that CD/DVD's are more durable & thus we did not need the right to archival backup.

Some studios do get it (example: Veggietales doesn't at all copyprotect their stuff, and even notes in their DVDs you can copy it to a VHS tape if you want; kudos to them) some go to insane lengths to stop you.

If you're ripping something you didn't buy, you stole it (simple; and with
stuff like Itunes and direct download from companies so cheap to buy
software, why bother with most?) but if you're copying what you legally
bought for yourself and not for paid distribution, I'm sorry, but I won't
feel bad about that.

1st, Itunes and such come with DRM limiting your ability to use them except in ways the copyright holder allows and at a less than high quality sample rate. The same direction we are heading with PVR & devices designed to prevent more than viewing a high quality source.

2nd software overall has not become any cheaper with the current draconian protection methods in place nor the supposedly cheaper "direct to hard drive" delivery methods.