100% maybe, not 100x as there are still issues of lack of control calling JS & plugins.

I did find plugin to give me toolbar access for global + some per-tab enabling Java & JS called "PrefButtons":

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=86

Now if it would just it allow me to set them default off per-tab, I'd be happy more so if it was per site w/memory. As it stand global is off, but per-tab seems to override that by defaulting on and no memory beyond the tabs lifetime.

This should block the new window activity you complain about. in user.js add:

"user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction", 0);"

rls wrote:
Well I tried it - but still like Opera's look, feel and operation, and
download speed a lot better. A small number of sites don't like Opera and
tell me I have to upgrade to I. Explorer or Netscape. Firefox doesn't seem
to have a problem with those sites (or vice versa). Otherwise IMO Opera is
more configurable, has more features, killer download speeds and creates all
new pages in tabs. In 'open in a new page' Firefox creates another separate
window instead of automatically adding a tab. I also found Firefox's
download box to be a PIA.

But I would otherwise agree that Firefox is 100x better than Explorer.