-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Maki
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:07 PM
To: 'The Hardware List'
Subject: RE: [H] AMD XP Temps (WAS -- OT: Is this on?)

Okay, Item for discussion.

I am running an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with a Speeze HSF unit on a Gigabyte
GA-7NNXP board. To me, it has always run hot. It idles in the mid 50s
(celsius) and climbs to the low to mid 60s underload (i.e., DVD recoding).
IIRC, AMD recommends a max out temp of 85 C. I assume this is the "melt
down" temp. In the summer months, the temp can get into the mid to hi 60s. I
turn the system off till the ambient temps come down.

Many of the hi capacity HSF won't fit on the Gigabyte board (to my
understanding) due to the close placement of some capacitors.

So, the matter for discussion is possible solutions for this temp problem.
Are the temps I am experiencing normal enough not to worry? Does anyone have
experience with a good HSF that works on the gigabyte board? What about
liquid cooling. I have seen the Kingwin AWC-1 Arctic Liquid Cooler System
for $86.99. Experience, comments or warnings?

I understand the AMD64 chips run much cooler, but do they also have a lower
thresh hold temp?

Hope this gets some discussion going.

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]