----- Original Message ----- From: "CW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [H] New MS rule

OK, I guess I've just missed the point.

Can anyone show me a single instance where MS has prosecuted a home user for borrowing a key?

Your hurdle is not getting Windows XP to install. You can use any Product Key for the same version (OEM, Full or Upgrade) and Windows XP will install. It is the required authentication process that you have to worry about. The first time your new computer (or Upgrade Installation) was authenticated a detailed description of the computer was matched to the Product Key and sent to Microsoft. Microsoft will detect and deny authentication on any future occasion if authentication is attempted after having used a different Product Key to install Windows. Authentication is the key.

Example: Before authentication became a requirement people like Hewlett Packard could easily be suspected of piracy. If any of you has a Hewlett Packard computer with Windows 98 SE on it, check and see if VTXBY-99K94-9C6CW-Q2FR4-8Q4VQ is the Product Key used to install Windows 98 SE version 4.10.2222. Out of the well over a hundred Hewlett Packard computers I installed Windows 98 SE on all came with Windows installed using this same Product Key which I bet you will find if you examine the Product Key for this version of Windows which can be found in the registry. My point here is it is easy to come up with most any Product Key and install Windows. Windows 98 did not need authentication. Windows XP does and there lies your obstacle if you do not always use the same Product Key that the computer manufacturer used.

Right now you may not believe me. You will believe me if several others post "Me to's" in response to my question," Does your Windows 98 SE HP have the same Product Key as I listed in my 2nd paragraph above."

Chuck