I am not sure what you would gain by using a NAS instead of your main
machine.  Is it not always on?  Is the file transfer causing a
slowdown that you want to offload?

Personally, I have 2 main machines in my house. One is my desktop used
for gaming and daily use.  The other is a file server, bit torrent
client, and HTPC.  The main reason I did this was the wireless
network.  I did not have a good way to get ethernet up to my office
for my main machine, just Wi-fi.  So my solution was to get a router
with both Wi-fi and wired ports.  My main machine and my roommates'
laptops connect via the wifi.  The HTPC/server is connected via wire.

This gives me full 100Mb bandwidth for bittorrent and file transers
to/from the file server, and 802.11g access otherwise which is good
enough for gaming and surfing.  I used spare parts for the
HTPC/fileserver and only had to buy a bigger HD which made it not very
costly.  And I use TightVNC to remote into the server to control it
when I am not sitting in front of the TV.

If you don't use your desktop for more than the file serving, I would
simply get rid of the monitor/keyboard/mouse and tuck it away in the
closet.  Load VNC on it and connect to it via your laptop to configure
and manage it.

--
Brian