thanks, did not think to negotiate the UDMA down in the bios.

going to attempt a hot flash but have not had good luck in recent years with those. not sure why I want to do this, for grins I guess.
bios flash should have worked, I have done a baziilion of those with zero problems, guess bin was wrong from GB
fp

At 10:58 AM 6/22/2005, Greg Sevart Poked the stick with:

2)  Your harddisk is having problems with UDMA negotiation.  While UDMA is backwards compatible, there was a bug in the old implementations where it would hang while negotiating.  Download the UDMA utilities from your hardware vendor to hardlock the UDMA to some value that is support instead of relying on autonegotiation.

I was typing a response suggesting this when your reply came in. :)

The 440BX is especially prone to this problem, as ATA/66 was in development when it (the BX) was being designed, but the chipset itself only fully supports ATA/33. It is rumored that Intel was considering putting in ATA/66 support with the BX release, but it is likely that the spec was too incomplete by delivery time. When ATA/66 drives came out, it had problems negotiating with BX host controllers. This issue can exist with any drive > ATA/33.

Greg

--
Tallyho ! ]:8)