is it possible the mb connector is controlling the cpu fan rpm ? maybe not full voltage on the header ?
fp

At 05:31 AM 6/23/2005, Thane Sherrington Poked the stick with:

Here's a strange thing.  On his Gigabyte motherboard, the CPU climbs steadily updwards (it's at 64C now sitting in the CMOS) with the same compound and heat sink (I have the heat sink running from a power supply connector, since when I attached it to the motherboard, the CPU climbed to 82C in about a minute and shutdown.)  I've updated the BIOS, but I'm thinking the motherboard must be doing something weird to be heating the CPU this way.  I can't check the voltages, as it just says "OK" for all voltages instead of showing actual numbers.  Clever.

Tallyho ! ]:8)
--
TV is a medium; anything well done is rare.