Well, seriously.  I’ve got two trees in my yard that the city will not allow
me to “drop” because they abut a street and so I have to maintain them
(fine, they are both older then 50 years, and not bad.. but also kinda ugly
and partially dying).  It’s also against the law for me to burn limbs.  So,
I have to haul them out to the dump (at a cost of gas + $20 a visit)

Now, if I were to pile up the limbs, and burn them in my backyard as a
protest of the city government, I’d still get a ticket (and probably rightly
so, as that kind of fire would be a bit of a hazard).  But the limbs burning
would emit no direct poison.. definitely not the same as burning something
that is a dyed cloth.

I get the point, yes, yes, you hate the government or whatever, you've got
the signs on your car, etc. etc. etc.  Fine.  But seriously, is there a need
to burn something?  Not just the flag, but anything?  I mean, if you're
going to burn something, I've got some limbs I'll give you.. let you have
the ticket.  Is your political message any more powerful because you decide
to fill the air with pollutants and have a mini-firehazard?  Would you get
the same political effect if instead of standing in front of the city
offices and burning a flag, instead, you broke out super soakers and made
the ground a slipping hazard?  I'm trying to think of what other man-made
actions like fire you could induce that would have the same political
resonance.  Protest the government by bringing a skunk to county forum
meetings?

I believe you have every right to speech.  It's debatable to me as to
whether burning anything is speech, though.  But if you are set on burning a
flag, can you burn one made at home, on a brown paper bag, using food
coloring?  It'll burn much cleaner then cloth, it's still a flag for you,
and it's over a lot quicker.. but you still get your point across.  Or,
better yet, just cook a cake of the flag and leave it in for an extra hour
or whatever it takes to make it a charcoal brickette.  That will sure show
them!

CW