From: Ben Ruset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Hardware List <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. et al. v. Grokster, Ltd.,et al.
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:27:56 -0400

I think what he's getting at is downloading a TV show from the internet that he did *NOT* record himself, but could have. Is that illegal?

Yes. You see that warning on every single network broadcast? It states this program may not be publically broadcast without consent of X network. The reason being is this; networks broadcast their content without charging their viewers to watch on the condition that the commercial ad revenue will keep them in business. Sharing commercial-ripped unauthorized reproductions naturally will anger the TV network.

I however dont see what is so terrible in sharing network TV programming in its entirety, complete with the commercials in place. Sure, home users have ways to eliminate watching the ads, but as long as the uploader includes them, I dont see how this is unethical in regards to copyrights. This applies to network TV, obviously not HBO or what not.

Sharing of broadcast TV is indeed a grey area. If everybody found ways to defeat the viewing of ads (either by Tivo, or downloading ripped content), what will result are ads placed within scenes of your favorite TV show (which I find more annoying).