At 11:54 AM 14/07/2005, Ben Ruset wrote:
Okay, so you pay for the software from MS *and* get support for a period of time. With Linux you're not paying for software and then have to find some 3rd party vendor.

That's how I understand it, yes. (It is also my understanding that at some point, you pay for MS support.)

I don't think anybody will disagree that it's easier to admin a Windows server than a Linux server.

Can't comment on that. It is easier to admin a Netware server than a Windows server.

Yeah, but how long will that take? If it takes you 5 years to develop a program on your own when a funded company could have it done in 5 weeks, how does that help computing in general? And competition is not "take my product and modify it" it's usually "lets create a product of our own that does X but also does Y."

Except that once a program is released as FOSS, there could end up being many more people working on the program than in a funded company. At least, that's what I read. I've never worked in either, so I can't say from personal experience.

I wonder how many Samba implementations have paid support. Or how many mySQL loads are supported by mySQL the company, vs the number of free installs out there. There's a lot of people using a lot of software without paying a dime. Why spend a ton of money to develop software when the vast number of users will end up taking your ideas for free.

Sort of like pirated Windows, I guess. :)