To: "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 3:55 PM
Subject: [H] AMD64 Heat Issues

I recently put together a new system with an AMD64 3700+ San Diego core cpu.
One of the reasons I build a new system was that I was having heat issues
with my Athlon XP 3200+. The mobo design of the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP does not
leave many options for larger hsf installation. I was hoping that the newer, cooler running AMD64 would eliminate this problem. I thought it had. Initial
temps were in the 25-30 degree C range, with temps raising to the mid to
high 30 degree range under load and the low 40s under heavier load. I
recently did a longer video recode and the alarm for 60 degrees C started
sounding! (I am running the stock cooler provided with the retail AMD chip
and monitoring the temperature with the included EasyTune 5 utility).