How well do stand alone DVD players support home burned dual layer DVDs? What is the current primary use for dual layer? I mean what do people use it for? How reliable is the 8.5 GB burns.

You pay a huge premium for dual layer media so I am wondering what do people use it for.

With prices so low for standard DVD media, it would seem you would have to have a pretty important reason to burn a four or five dollar dual layer DVD when you can buy a name brand 8 speed DVD -R for as little as 34 cents. This is what I paid today for 50 Imation 8 speed DVD -r... or +r, on sale,.... but no rebate. CompUSA is having a similar sale on TDK DVDs.