----- Original Message ----- From: "Thane Sherrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 7:40 AM
Subject: [H] How to tell when out of RAM

Is there a simple program or procedure for end users so they can tell when they have run out of RAM and are paging data? I have a lot of people get RAM upgrades and then say it made no difference. It's be nice to have some utility that would measure bottlenecks so that I could recommend the best bang for buck upgrades.

If they stay in these ranges, they will fell the difference:

Windows 95 8 not enough, 16 is ok and 32 is the honey hole.

Windows 98 32 is not enough, 64 runs good and 128 may let you feel some difference.

Windows Me 64 is not enough, 128 runs good and 256 may let you feel some difference.

Windows XP 128 is not enough, 256 is borderline, 512 is the honey hole and 1024 lets you feel some difference.

I feel they say it makes no difference because they are overloading their operating system and/or the capability of their CPU etc. Note that video onboard and slow turning 5400 RPM hard drives are a culprit that more RAM can not help.

Chuck