Microsoft does not sell ad space on any of the Microsoft.com sites. So I don't know how I'd see any Dell ads when I update.

And Microsoft has already said that the information would not be personally identifable. So that would pretty much mean that I couldn't be targeted with ads based on my hardware profile.

You want to know what I see as a bigger problem than Microsoft knowing what type of PC I use? All of these "pre-approved credit" notices I get in my mailbox. I don't like the idea of people sharing real, personally identifable information about my finances without my knowledge or consent. THAT is what bothers me, not if I get a popup for a Dell PC or something equally as trivial.