On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Rob Finger HWG wrote:

Well I figured hardware would be the easiest. We use IP KVM's at work from HP and they work pretty good. These are all good suggestions. I might have to look more into Synergy2. Keep them coming if you have them.

The difficult thing is getting the BIOS. Generally that just goes to the main display. Some BIOS's will redirect to serial console. Add serial console support to linux, as well as a VNC server and you can access the machine while it boots with minicom/hyperterminal, then when it's completely up you can use VNC/exceed/ssh to connect.

Example grub.conf:

timeout 5
default 0
serial --unit=1 --speed=115200
terminal --timeout=10 serial console

title  My Linux!
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 console=ttyS1,115200

The above is set to use com2.

Also, you need to setup the inittab:

s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -i -h -L 115200 ttyS1 vt102

and serial port, serial console support to the kernel.

Once that is done, you can configure the system how you want, setup X, vnc, etc.

Good luck,

Christopher Fisk
--
I WILL NOT CALL THE PRINCIPAL "SPUD HEAD"
I WILL NOT CALL THE PRINCIPAL "SPUD HEAD"