The PC World Test Center evaluated analog and digital video cables from five vendors: budget-cable companies CableWholesale.com and StarTech.com, industry leader Monster Cable, and boutique brands AudioQuest and Kimber Kable. For analog connections, we tested the three-wire component-video cable--the only common analog interconnect that can carry high-definition TV or progressive-scan DVD signals. For digital connections, we used High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI), which carries digital video and audio signals.

Prices for the component cables ranged from $18 (CableWholesale.com) up to $275 (AudioQuest). The HDMI cable prices ranged from $31 (CableWholesale.com) to $300 (Monster Cable). See our chart for pricing and vendor information:
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,121777,pg,4,tk,box,00.asp

Our verdict: Whether you hook up your TV via digital connections, analog connections, or both, you are unlikely to detect any difference in picture quality between a cable with a moderate price and a luxury brand. Read on for details.
Robert Turnbull, Toronto, Canada