At 17:00 08/17/05, jeff.lane wrote:
Like cold fusion? There were a couple of scientists, in Utah, several years ago that claimed they had made cold fusion work. That is clean, safe, perpetual, fusion .I don't recall their names but they had the scientific world standing on it's head for sometime until they discovered that it was not completely perfect, i.e., infinitely renewable. My question would be just how long did this run without renewal? After the idea of infinity went away nobody heard anything about these guys. If they had discovered pure cold fusion we could power a whole city in a clean reactor no bigger that a service station, if that big. The pellet to run a car thing........all of it runs forever. Anybody think this won't or can't happen, or for that matter, may already be there???

Most scientists consider Cold Fusion to have been a fiasco. Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann (the two Univ. of Utah Chemists who claimed to have first observed it) never could explain the physics behind their "discovery". (Neutrons are always released by fusion reactions and none were ever detected with this so called cold fusion. In addition, most other scientists trying to verify the Univ. of Utah experiments failed to detect any energy release. The whole mess was probably due to the unreliability of closed calorimetry experiments.)

So Physicists have pretty much debunked cold fusion. Interestingly, the DOE (Dept. of Energy) still occasionally gets suckered by cold fusion claims. These guys still seem willing to spend our tax dollars on research grants for things like perpetual motion machines, Kirlian photographs of the human aura, "zero point energy", "ball lightning", "magnet therapy", etc. The most frequent warning sign of voodoo science is that claims are pitched directly to the media, like the way the two scientists from the Univ. of Utah released their "results", instead of in scientific journals where they can be reviewed and tested by reputable scientists.

That said, Cold Fusion still has believers, but not much confirmation.

Regards,
Bill