...but given that we produce something like ~40% of our oil
DOMESTICALLY, and the majority of the remainder comes from Canada,
Mexico, and Venezuela, we wouldn't need to replace 100% of our oil
consumption with oil from the ANWR.

Even if we only replaced 50% of are imported oil, that would merely double the six months to a year.

But the point is that oil coming from Canada and Mexico (where most of our imports come from) isn't a problem. Venezuela has been ripe with issues lately, but even they aren't as bad the middle east. Hoping to get completely away from oil imports in the near term is unrealistic.

When I was researching the issue back in spring of 2002, the figure
that I heard was that ANWR oil could COMPLETELY REPLACE middle-eastern
imports for a period of 30 years.

I seriously doubt that. Remember the rest of Energy Secretary Abraham's quote:

"Americans should not overestimate this region's ability to provide the nation with energy independence"

Something I doubt he would say if the region could "COMPLETELY REPLACE middle-eastern imports for a period of 30 years"

Drilling for oil in the ANWR would NOT significantly reduce our dependence on foreign countries for oil. Therefore, his statement is correct: it would not provide energy independence. However, it COULD dramatically reduce our dependence on *middle eastern* countries. Unless estimates of oil in the ANWR have significantly changed in the past few years, or our imports from the middle eastern regions have increased dramatically, I am absolutely positive that the 30 year figure is correct.

That being said, I have mixed feelings on drilling in the ANWR. It
would be 5-12 years before any useful oil came from it

Not to mention that because it would involve drilling trough permafrost, it would be North of $80/barrel oil or more. That won't help us with the price at all.

It wouldn't be near $80/barrel. Like I said, I did a lot of research on the ANWR in spring of 2002. At that time, with gas prices what they were then ($1.40?), there was still a lot of economically viable oil. With the price of oil triple what it was then, there's a lot more. But again, drilling in the ANWR isn't that great of an idea.

Greg