There is a small degree of increased performance in modern standard
manufacturer's vehicles when it comes to using premium fuel. Not to the
extent that I would say it is significant but enough to notice a little more
pep. Reason being, the higher octane means more resistance to detonation as
you said. As a result, the knock sensor factory-standard ECU's utilise picks
up less knocking which means less retard of the ignition timing which means
more efficient burn and therefore a bit more bang for the buck.

Retarding does prevent pre-detonation to a point. If it didn't, the
manufacturers wouldn't go to all the trouble of spending so many dollars on
research to pick the right sound for the knock sensor to depend on to
minimise the pinging. Of course, there's only so much you can do before you
retard is so much that you end up fouling the spark plugs and worse yet, the
EGO sensor.

So to say that it does not result in more horsepower is wrong. To say that
it only results in a small and almost insignificant amount of horsepower due
to a more advanced ignition timing is true. I strictly use premium because I
drive a turbocharged Maxima at 8.5:1 compression so I need a turbo-friendly
fuel for the task otherwise I would have to retard the ignition timing and
dump more fuel in my MoTeC mapping which would definitely rob me of
horsepower and waste fuel.

Adios,
Tony

---------------  TAMA - The Strongest Name in Drums  ---------------