On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Brian Weeden wrote:

Well after my latest HD failure I have decided it is best to pursue a
RAID solution.  I have 3 250 GB SATA 150 drives that I would like to
start the array with and will probably be adding a couple more later.

Right now the array will be going into a Athlon system with a nForce 2
mobo but soon (< 6 months) I will be moving to a newer 64 bit system
with PCI-X slots.  I would like to get a RAID card that supports both
the older 33/66 PCI standard and the new PCI-X.

I will be booting the OS off a separate, single drive and using the
RAID array for dta storage and media playback.  I don't really need a
hardcore, heavy duty server-quality RAID card but I am looking for
something pretty decent.

1) Any recommendations out there for cards?  I was looking at the
Highpoint RocketRaid ones and was fairly impressed.  Any major
differences between Highpoint, 3Ware, and Promise?

Make sure you get a true hardware raid as opposed to a software assisted raid. Quite a few SATA raid cards aren't true hardware raid. This of course depends on your preferance.

http://linux.yyz.us/sata/faq-sata-raid.html

A raid card I really like is in the Adaptec AAC-RAID family. it's true hardware raid, so you don't need to worry about using any extra CPU power.

It's a couple hundred dollars tho.

Christopher Fisk
--
Fry: Leela, there's nothing wrong with anything.