CAn you do a ctrl-shift-esc & get taskam up? You might be able to launch the program directly from there.

Veech wrote:
unfortunately that's part of the problem, I can't open Spybot now either. Same thing, I click on the Spybpt icon, and get the hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing else happens. Something has gone haywire.
Can't open any programs.

But, oddly enough, my kid opened her folder full of digital photos (My Photos in My Documents, I think) and was able to burn them to a CDR, so it isn't as if the whole system is dead. But she didn't have to open a program to burn the CDR.