I wonder if that update only affects PCs that have had their default permissions changed at some time. Mine were at the default and none of my .clb files had been altered for some time.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Q. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [H] Watch out for MS udpates -fixed

turns out the fix was pretty easy...instructions weren't so great, though. Just two lines to type in and run from a command prompt...

Anthony Q. Martin wrote:

A microsoft auto update broke this, they ought to be requried to fix it. I don't even understand how to follow their instructions to fix it, either.

joeuser wrote:

Sounds like fun!

Anthony Q. Martin wrote:

Yes. Firewall crapped out, trendmicro went funky, windows installer died....all of which happened right after I installed the updates this morning....luckily, that happened on my second PC and not my main work machine (where the sound card is popping to my speakers like crazy)...else I'd have gotten nothing done today.