-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thane Sherrington
(S)
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 7:13 AM
To: hardware@hardwaregroup.com
Subject: [H] Does Defrag matter anymore?

I'm still working on the "does defrag matter" question.  Up 'til now, I've
thought there was some improvment, using the the test of copying all files
to /dev/nul to test overall file reading speed.

Today I decided to test start up and shut down times on a single machine.  I
ran two tests and averaged the speeds.  This isn't definitive, but it is
interesting.

Before I did anything the times were:
Start up (to login prompt): 50.35 seconds Shut down (from login prompt):
13.98 seconds

Then I ran Reghealer to clean up the registry, then NTRegOpt to defrag it:
Start up (to login prompt): 54 seconds
Shut down (from login prompt): 18.28 seconds

Then I ran PerfectDisk, did an offline defrag then a Smartplacement defrag:
Start up (to login prompt): 51 seconds
Shut down (from login prompt): 30.27 seconds

So it looks to me like cleaning and optimizing the registry doesn't do much
for you, and apparently PerfectDisk really screws up the shutdown speeds,
while doing nothing for the startup.

So right now, I'd say defragging is useless.