At 06:19 PM 30/11/2005, joeuser wrote:
Parts and labor. There's no way one can warranty software or OS and stay above water. There are just too many variables out there. I suppose if it was not connected to the Internet and they never installed *anything* I would assume it's my fault. Since I test my builds extensively it's never been an issue. However, clients do not leave my shop with one of my systems without my "security suite". If they want to run their own anti-virus or something - they can buy a system from someone else.

I always recommend people buy an AV (and I put NOD32 on all machines I sell.) But I can't put a gun to their heads, so if they say they have an AV, I have to let the system go. I cancel my 48 hour warranty in this case, but I still get whiners who think I should "stand behind my work" regardless of their actions.

This is more an issue with systems I repair than systems I sell. For example, I had a guy in two months ago with 175 virus and 683 spyware. He couldn't get on the net. I removed all the crap, fixed his TCP/IP stack, and away he goes, refusing to have me install AV, because he has one. Yesterday he calls - the same problem is back, and why won't we fix it for free, since it's the same problem? I point out that it worked for the last two months, and he agrees, and I point out that most likely he has re-infected himself, so while the same symptoms are back, it isn't the same problem. He freaks out and tells me he won't pay to have the same problem fixed twice. I think I was in the right, but I'm wondering what the general consensus would be on that.