Over a LAN or clean broadband connection, RDP/TS/Citrix is the king. However, the remote desktop connection does have it's limits in that it is great for servers, but is a pain when trying to assist an active user session on a workstation. It requires coordination with the user to shadow a live session or they must get kicked out to log in via remote desktop. Not the best solution for helping somebody out remotely.

The key component of VNC lag is cursor tacking and graphics. Both products say they improve this lag considerably using two different methods. It's hard for me to form an opinion just yet after just a day or so of playing around.

From: Brian Weeden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Hardware List <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Subject: Re: [H] TightVNC vs UltraVNC: battle of the VNCs
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:05:23 -0700

I have used them both but not really done any comparisons.  I found
that across the board while network bandwidth use was low, CPU usage
on the server was rather high.  Around 30% or so.  And there was a
noticeable lag between commanding an action and the server performing
it.  However, over the WAN or a slow LAN it is probably beneficial.
Over a fast LAN I think maybe another solution might be better  - I am
going to look into Windows Remote Desktop and see if that is any
better.

--
Brian