On 1/19/06, Ben Ruset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> How does one build one if you need to have a set top box to decode
> digital cable signals? Can it change channels with some sort of IR box?

In the future HTPCs are supposed to support CableCard which means you
should be able to get rid of the cable box.  But I am guessing there
is going to be some heavy DRM with it and restrictions on what it
works with (like only MCE).

Right now, yes you still need to tune through your cable box and you
can get IR adapters to do it.  Or, get a combined RF/IR remote and map
the channel keys to control your cable box.

> I have a HDTV PVR through Comcast digital. $9.99/mo which isn't bad at
> all. I would like the ability, however, to archive my recordings and be
> able to watch them on my laptop.

Wouldn't we all :)  Too bad the media companies, do not want us to
have that.  We can pay to watch it now, pay to watch it later, and pay
to watch it again in the future.

--
Brian