Oh man, this guy reminds me of Ken Rockwell of the digital photography
realm.  I'm sorry but Steve Gibson is far from a security expert, although
he does say a lot of wild things and his web site is obviously designed to
sell his products.  Ironically, that is not so much different from Ken
Rockwell either except Ken does it just to generate ad hits.  There might be
some remotely useful concepts that come out of Steve's diatribe, but I'm
sorry, he's just not the real deal in any sense of the word.  He seems to
fall under the class of "say outrageous stories to get tons of hits on your
website, then sell them stuff or generate ad hits!"

So, I was interested in reading the Windows XP RAW Socket "issue".  The most
common internet application uses RAW sockets:  ping.exe (or ping for those
Unix heads).   ICMP packets has to be created via RAW sockets so Steve's
claim seemed like it ready for an instant shoot down.  It seems that grc.com
does note this, and at first everything he says seems to make sense.  There
used to be a slight barrier to creating RAW sockets and now it is gone.  3rd
party shims to allow RAW sockets would have made it a bit harder, but
honestly, I doubt by much.  Look at how advanced spyware hooks have become
and it has nothing to do with RAW sockets, just pure user stupidity.

So, I was going to give Steve some partial credit until I realized, there
doesn't seem to be much point in spoofing IP addresses if you are behind a
NATed device since the NATed device will always translate your outbound
packets as well.  In fact, some NAT translation devices might even REFUSE to
translate IPs that are not considered local yet are showing up locally.

In other words, Steve Gibson's claim that RAW sockets would make XP the
choice of zombies because of it's ability to spoof IPs does not seem to be
practical in the least for hackers.  I would dare to say a large chunk of
people are behind a NATed device rather than directly out in the open.
Also, tons of people are purchasing firewall software which at least would
help decrease the number of instant zombies.

Also, why would I bother spoofing IPs on my zombies if I can take over a
large number of zombies from major networks such as AOL and Comcast?
Economically with regards to time spent, a hacker would just be far better
off relying on initial spyware deployments to get a large enough spread to
get the zombies needed to DoS any target successfully.  Given that I have
worked with Comcast with regards to DoSes, they admit being somewhat
helpless against defending their own users from DoSes.  It's a bit hard to
convince the NOC to add "on-the-fly" access-control lists (firewall rules)
to production routers just to protect an end user.  They have enough issues
as it is and throwing up potentially 30-40 acls (and this is WITHOUT
spoofing) is hard enough.  Yes, if they were spoofing it would be even worse
especially if it was a high priority target such as a server.

I'll admit that XP having more direct RAW socket support is an interesting
revelation, but it certainly isn't enough to go running along with as a
security hole of the century.  Simply put, if Steve Gibson has more
practical experience in the field with regards to security issues, maybe he
would realize that some of his claims just aren't practical because a real
hacker can achieve it far easily in other ways.  I'm sure Gibson is also a
little miffled about the major DDoS that blasted his website a while ago.
Although, I'm sure if we could find out the majority of the systems that
nailed him on that, it would be unix based OSes or server class Windows
oses.  While grc.com admitted that unix servers are the ideal platform for
spoofers types, you aren't going to find XP machines at colo locations where
they have significant bandwidth per successful hack ratios.  In short, yeah
Gibson, it was horrible you got DDoSed and finding ways to stop it would be
great.  No, it was not because of Windows XP's RAW Socket support.

As for the WMF thing, you got to be kidding me.  Planted by Microsoft?
Microsoft already has tons of ways to allegedly "backdoor" information into
the system, why would they used a be-fangled difficult attack vector?  I
don't think Gibson has had a lot of experience in developing large software
base.  I'm beginning to wonder if Gibson has a lot of real world experience
to begin with.

As many have agreed, the real Microsoft security problem is the fact that it
runs as "administrator" by default.  Harden that up a bit more and you will
nearly all of these security issues mysteriously disappear.  Hopefully
Microsoft will get to a stage where this will be easier to do for most
users.

- Carroll Kong