Strong Molecule-Sized Springs Discovered

Sara Goudarzi
Special to LiveScience
LiveScience.com
Tue Jan 24, 11:00 AM ET

Researchers have discovered nature's miniature springs within the proteins of many living cells. These proteins could one day be used in developing incredibly small machines in the nano realm.

Nanomachines can be the size of a few molecules. One nanometer equals one billionth of a meter. Scientists envision using nanomachines to manufacture other small products for computers and other high-tech products, and to improve human health and longevity by navigating inside the body to search for problems and deliver drugs.

Like most machinery, nanomachines require parts such as motors, valves, and springs. Constructing these tiny parts is challenging. An alternative may be to use what nature has already made available.

Like common springs

Nature's tiny coils, which are protein components called ankyrin repeats,  "resemble 'classical' springs made of a steel wire," said Piotr Marszalek, professor of mechanical engineering and materials science at the Duke Pratt School of Engineering.

[...]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060124/sc_space/strongmoleculesizedspringsdiscovered