Understand recent traffic about the Promise ultra133 tx2 eide controller, sort
of.
I have not had any trouble, until today.  My U133 is now showing up with the
hated
yellow exclamation point in DM.  I have tried to reinstall drivers and/or
un-install the
device several times without much luck. I do notice that no matter where I
point W2K
for the drivers, W2K chooses its' own location, completes the install, and,
again fails.
For some reason W2K just will not do/go where I sent it. Odd?

I do notice the W2K (sp4 pro) seems to have created oem0.inf through oem15.inf
in
the winnt/system32/inf location. Several of the these numbered oemx.inf files
do
discuss the Promise U133 controller at 3 different driver versions, the default
MS version,
the Promise v2.0.29, and the Promise v2.0.43. The v2.0.43 was was running
before the machine was shutdown for a case change.

Can the "promise-related oemx.inf files be deleted from the inf directory?

Will this clean-up or reset the 0000-0005 keys in the "control set 001" area of
the registry?

It does seem that something is badly scrambled, but I'm confused about where to
start any
un-scramble work. I do NOT find any hidden installs for the controller in safe
mode either.

Ideas, tweaks, suggestions are welcome. Thanks
Duncan

This email scanned for Viruses and Spam by ZCloud.net