I'd also second the backup & reinstall, nothing else is 100% in this day & age of things that cloak themselves and not-as-yet detected exploits/malware.

In addition I would suggest they rotate all passwords used anywhere and consider monitoring their credit reports if they've done any online
transactions.

As to what to backup, everything. What to restore, non-programs (doc, pdf, txt, etc...) & then carefully go through them with a up to date AV (online) scanner(s). If they are with an ISP offering name brand AV for free, install it if reputable otherwise buy one.