----- Original Message ----- From: "Thane Sherrington (S)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 3:48 PM
Subject: RE: [H] Suggested tools for helping a friend with bad virusinfestation

I bill flat rate for virus removal, so they're never unhappy. They are unhappy with the place down the road that "fixed" their problem by reinstalling Windows and then left them with three days of work finding their CDs and reinstalling and configuring their programs.

I wonder how many will agree that after a year or two a format and reinstall job is needed anyway to get rid of the crud. In most situations that crud is the name brand install process. I do a clean install. I know it runs far better after I finish than it did when it came out of the box. That makes the format job worthwhile.

I wish somebody would benchmark my work. Take any computer out of its box and benchmark it. Let me to my thing and then benchmark it again. It will yield far better results.

Chuck