At 04:53 PM 14/02/2006, Christopher Fisk wrote:
On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Thane Sherrington (S) wrote:

What about the ones not published?

Well, according to Systernals, it would take technology not yet seen in a rootkit to get around Rootkit Revealer. It would have to be specifically written to intercept RR calls to directly look at the registry and hard drive files. So right now, it seems like a pretty good tool.

I'm not saying it's not a good tool, I'm saying (And they admit) that it's certainly not 100%.

From the SysInternals page:
Can a Rootkit hide from RootkitRevealer?
It is theoretically possible for a rootkit to hide from RootkitRevealer. Doing so would require intercepting RootkitRevealer's reads of Registry hive data or file system data and changing the contents of the data such that the rootkit's Registry data or files are not present. However, this would require a level of sophistication not seen in rootkits to date. Changes to the data would require both an intimate knowledge of the NTFS, FAT and Registry hive formats, plus the ability to change data structures such that they hide the rootkit, but do not cause inconsistent or invalid structures or side-effect discrepancies that would be flagged by RootkitRevealer.

Perhaps there has been an update to this, but reading this, it looks to me that right now RootKitRevealer is 100%. It doesn't catch rootkits that don't hide themselves, but those should show up in tools like ProcessExplorer (or even an AV scan) so I would say that right now RootKits are more of a threat to the average user than to the person who knows how to find them.