I am thinking about building a Media Center box.... one thing I am not clear on. MC is mostly a playback device,... correct? I know you can rip CDs, and encode video, on the fly for TV broadcast recording...that sort of thing. But it is primarily intended to be used to play back media...correct?

If you are connecting them to a TV, then there is no monitor display....correct? The TV is the display?

They are not intended to be used as a game center, or anything like that are they? I keep reading articles on how to build them, and they always seem to use pretty fast components, .... fast CPUs, video cards, 2GB of RAM, none of which is needed for a playback machine. Plus high end fast stuff is going to run hot and creating fan noise.

I am planning on using a Semperon 64 3400, 1.5 GB of RAM, a basic large 72K GW drive, and a ATI AIW 9600 PRO none of which put out a lot of heat or noise....

Do I have the concept right here.... they are mostly playback devices....right?