At 11:29 AM 22/02/2006, Greg Sevart wrote:
In the second case, the manufacturer has already upheld their end--agreeing to repalce the drive--so adding furhter damage is unnecessary. What if your problem is simply a bad PCBA, with good media? The damage phonebooking inflicts is on the media/heads, so you may have ruined a perfectly good component after the manufacturer already agreed to take it back. In my mind, this isn't justified.

Ok, I can go along with that.  I withdraw my phonebooking suggestion.