----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Klein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'The Hardware List'" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 10:56 PM
Subject: RE: [H] Voltages too high?

I don't have a multimeter here...I'd have to bring it in to work.  I don't
remember which PSU I have at this point...I'll have to crack it open and
look.  How high is too high?

Your situation helps make my case for hooking any computer to a UPS, not a wall outlet or surge strip. The AC voltages feeding the power supply can vary enough to cause your DC output voltages to be out of acceptable range, low and high. Now if some electrical expert will give us the percantage of voltage variance that is acceptable, we will have lots more to work with. My uneducated guess is 10% which would allow the widest acceptable range for a 12 volt output to be from 10.8 to 13.2. That seems too wide. 5% seems more realistic, 11.4 to 12.6.

Chuck