Well for the VMotion to work as described you also need to use SAN,
the LUN's need to be visible to all the esx servers in the farm to get
the true benefits.  But depending on your budget, if you are looking
to do esx server farms hopefully you're using SAN.  One thing I've
seen folks do especially as they start is to have a few medium size
servers(2 cpus) plus 1 big(4+ cpus) as overflow.  This way you get a
feel for what the equipment can handle, (and if what your app folks
are telling you is true), if something spikes you can move stuff to
the bigger box via VMotion, all this with no downtime to the client.

--
-jmg
-sapere aude