For Quake 4 yes.     nVidia = opengl    ATI = direct-whatever...

Veech wrote:

nVidia then is preferred over ATI?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jin-Wei Tioh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [H] AGP card upgrade for Quake 4

At 12:18 PM 5/2/2006, you wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my AGP card.  My current system:

I plan eventually to upgrade the whole system but for now I want to just upgrade the video card in order to play Quake 4 on higher settings since now the default settings are the lowest quality with almost no goodies enabled. Boosting the settings in the game causes some stuttering.

What AGP card would be recommended in order to play Quake 4 on higher settings? Budget is $150 or so...

thanks

Well, it's stretching your budget a little, but a 6800GS is a nice card for ~$180.
You can probably grab it for ~$150 if you want to go the used route.

HTH

--
Cheers,
joeuser (still looking for the 'any' key)