Now this may have changed, but I have read this in more then one program. In the U.S. because of export restrictions covering cryptography, Passwords are limited to 56-bit encryption and only the first seven characters of your password are significant when encrypting a file.

Here is one source from PCMAG, one of their premium utilities,

ShellCrypt uses the Blowfish algorithm, a well-known and widely used cipher, to encrypt your files. Because of export restrictions covering cryptography, ShellCrypt is limited to 56-bit encryption and only the first seven characters of your password are significant when encrypting a file. When accessing the ShellCrypt utility itself, the entire password is utilized

And I think I saw this cavet in Winzip 10, AES 256

I remember I tried True Crypt .... but there was something about it I didn't like. I guess I will have to take another look at it.