-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joeuser
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 11:29 AM
To: The Hardware List
Subject: Re: [H] RE: Dell restore disks - WAS: Dell's remote assistance

I think they have put something in the water.... Stories seems to be the
same way. OMG Dell is awesome. While un afflicted people (like Thane and
I) scratch our heads. Reminds me of Eddie Murphy and when he talks about
the guy starving in the desert. Guy gives him a regular old - saltine
cracker and the guy is like "OMG this is the best damn cracker ever, is
this a ritz?" Yeah these dell stories are great. So many starving folks
though - makes me sad.

Thane Sherrington wrote:

> At 07:25 AM 16/06/2006, Bobby Heid wrote:
>
>> I bought my daughter a Dell laptop for graduation.  The default is to not
>> include a restore disk.  Well, on this particular order, there was not an
>> option to purchase a recovery disk ($10).  So after ordering the
>> laptop, I
>> called them up to purchase the disk and the guy told me I did not need
>> one
>> because it was on the system (wasting space I might add).  I told him
>> that
>> was just great, but what was I to do when the HD crashed?  He did not
>> have
>> an answer for me and promptly shipped me the disks.  On top of that, I
>> was
>> not charged for them!  :)
>

> I wouldn't see that as great customer service.  They neglected to give
> you a recovery CD, and when you called them and pointed that out, they
> gave you one.  Recovery CDs with the system is a minimum service level.
> Forcing you to call, convince them that you need one and then sending
> one out takes them below minimum.  It's ridiculous, and a great example
> of how they try to take their customers.  If you hadn't been a savvy
> customer, you never would have gotten the CD.

Cheers,
joeuser (still looking for the 'any' key)