My experience with Dell's is that they need the Dell XP CD to work (a regular OEM often doesn't activate, and on repair installs sometimes won't accept the COA at all.) I've seen similar problems with HPs and Compaqs. I've gotten around it when it's an activation problem by calling MS. One can try pulling the original COA off Windows with the Jellybean Keyfinder, but that's hit and miss.